The laundry room. I’m fairly sure no amount of sprucing will make me want to do laundry, but this laundry room in particular was of absolutely no help. Laundry rooms should feel clean and this one definitely did not. Here is the sad state of the laundry room before the quick and dirty remodel:
Don’t get me wrong, it functioned. It just needed some refreshing.
And here was the plan:
1. A DIY fireproofed curtain…more details to come..to hide the necessary, but not aesthetically pleasing, hot water heater and furnace that reside on one side of the room.
2. Peel and stick vinyl floor tiles
These puppies have come a long way from your elementary school cafeteria. Now they have grout lines built in
and raised texture to really simulate stone, and for about $1 a square foot they really can’t be beat!
3. New paint makes everything look years more new and clean. For this refresher we want to keep things clean
Benjamin Moore – Decorator’s White (flat for the ceiling, satin for the door frame)
Glidden – Wishes in Satin for the walls
4. A plush shag rug will do wonders to warm up the room and my feet since this room is in the basement right on
top of the cold concrete foundation.
5. A storage shelf will go against the back wall to keep track of all necessary laundry soap and a couple brown
canvas totes can catch all the loose change, buttons, stray socks, etc. that end up cluttering the laundry room.
6. And last but not least new front loading high efficiency (with a water rebate) washer and dryer will be installed.
The new models will be slightly larger than the old guys, but it’s high time for an upgrade since the dryer really
does no drying and the washer has to be talked into starting for each load. Hopefully the savings in water and
dry time will help offset the cost of the new set.
In addition, a hanging rod of some sort will need to be in place to utilize space inside the laundry room for those items that need to hang dry. Currently, those items find hanging space scattered around the rest of the house. Also the door to this space, which is never closed and is always in the way making this tiny room feel even smaller, will be removed.
I’ll have afters of this quick laundry room refresher up soon!